|written by Buuks on Jul 10, 2008 21:21|
|Now mine, lets copy paste Wikipedia:|
11th July (very long list, let's pick the highlites)
* 1156 - Siege of Shirakawa-den in Japan.
* 1302 - Battle of the Golden Spurs (Guldensporenslag in Dutch) - a coalition around the Flemish cities defeats the king of France's huge knightly army.
* 1405 - Chinese fleet commander Zheng He set sail to explore the world for the first time.
* 1740 - Pogrom: Jews are expelled from Little Russia.
* 1750 - Halifax, Nova Scotia almost completely destroyed by fire.
* 1804 - Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr mortally wounds former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton in a duel.
* 1864 - Confederate forces attempt an invasion of Washington, D.C.
* 1882 - The British Mediterranean fleet begins the Bombardment of Alexandria in Egypt as part of the 1882 Anglo-Egyptian War.
* 1897 - Salomon August Andrée leaves Spitsbergen to try to reach the North pole by balloon. He later crashes and dies.
* 1940 - World War II: Vichy France regime formally established. Henri Philippe Pétain becomes Prime Minister of France.
* 1943 - Massacres of Poles in Volhynia
* 1943 - World War II: Allied invasion of Sicily - German and Italian troops launch a counter-attack on Allied forces in Sicily.
* 1973 - A Brazilian Boeing 707 crashes near Paris on approach to Orly Airport, killing 123 people of the 134 on-board.
* 1978 - Los Alfaques Disaster: a truck carrying liquid gas crashes and explodes at a coastal campsite in Tarragona, Spain killing 216 tourists.
* 1983 - A Boeing 727 crashes into hilly terrain after a tail strike in Cuenca, Ecuador, claiming 119 lives.
* 1991 - A Nationair DC-8 crashed during an emergency landing at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, killing 261. The Canadian charter was ferrying Hajj pilgrims on behalf of Nigeria Airways.
* 1995 - Srebrenica Genocide: Serb army from Yugoslavia and Bosnia, capture the Bosniak town of Srebrenica. More than eight thousands inhabitants are murdered. It is generally regarded to be the most horrific event in recent European history.
* 1995 - A Cubana de Aviacion Antonov An-24 crashes into the Caribbean off southeast Cuba killing 44 people.
* 2006 - 209 people are killed in a series of bomb attacks in Mumbai, India.
Great things that happened:
* 1895 - The brothers Lumière show film for scientists.
* 1919 - Eight-hour working day and free Sunday made into law in the Netherlands.
|written by Bellum on Sep 14, 2008 17:57|
|Ugh, lots of bad stuff. Here's the worst of it.|
1914 - World War I: Austria-Hungary declares war on Serbia after Serbia rejects the conditions of an ultimatum sent by Austria on July 23 following the assassination of Archduke Francis Ferdinand.
1942 - World War II: Soviet leader Joseph Stalin issues Order No. 227 in response to alarming German advances into Russia. Under the order all those who retreat or otherwise leave their positions without orders to do so will be immediately executed.
1943 - World War II: Operation Gomorrah: The British bomb Hamburg causing a firestorm that kills 42,000 German civilians.